Topaz Coblation for Planter Fasciitis & Heel Pain
Topaz Coblation ProcedureTOPAZ is a quick, simple, procedure that Carolina Foot Specialists offers for chronic heel pain that is unresponsive to conservative treatment. The TOPAZ MicroDebrider utilizes patented Coblation® technology, designed to specifically treat tendons and fascia. The TOPAZ technique has been associated with quick return to daily activities allowing for significant improvement in patient outcomes.
How TOPAZ WorksThrough a small incision, approximately and inch long, the TOPAZ MicroDebrider is applied on and around the tendon for half-second duration treatments placed a quarter inch apart to form a grid-like pattern. With every fourth application, the device is inserted deeper into the tendon - approximately a quarter inch in depth. Small amounts of tissue are removed as a light application of radiofrequency energy is guided into the tissue. TOPAZ treatment typically takes less than 20 minutes to administer. Patients are ready to leave the clinic once recovered from local or light sedation.
- Fascia with partial tears may be at an increased risk of rupture
- Patients with chronic heel pain that has been unresponsive to conservative treatment.
Patient PreparationAccess can be approached through tiny poke holes made through the skin with the use of a .062 K-wire under IV and local sedation. Procedure takes 20 minutes without the need for skin sutures.
Post Operative Care and RehabilitationFirst week
- Immobilize with cam walker boot or surgical shoe.
- Dressing changes performed by the patient after first postoperative visit
- Passive and active range of motion exercises
- Night splint-Cam walker as appropriate
- Sneaker with custom orthotic
- Low impact exercising with slow progression into higher impact exercising
- Routine at home or work is okay at the discretion of a surgeon